Keeping Private Information Safe
Usernames, Logins and Passwords
It is of utmost importance that login credentials are secured as these constitute the entry-points to BNP Paribas platforms. The following guidelines can assist in keeping your private information safe:
- Avoid re-using the same usernames and passwords that you use for other website logins
- Do not use information that can be easily deduced
- Even though your user ID (usually the email address) itself is not confidential, do not write it down on anything that can be easily found by a malicious person.
- Never write down or reveal your password, SecurID Serial or pin number to anyone, including BNP Paribas Support Teams
- Change your password periodically
- Ensure that you are not being observed when entering your password
- Periodically check your keyboard and computer to ensure that no key loggers (devices that record keystrokes) are maliciously connected
Many browsers contain auto-complete functionality. Whilst this saves time for the user, it also allows unauthorised individuals to log into your account if your computer remains unlocked and unattended. It is recommended that you disable your web browser's auto-complete functionality.
Whatever the circumstances, never communicate your password to anyone (including support teams) and make sure nobody knows it.
- If you are away from your computer for an extended period of time, please ensure that you log out of all running applications.
- It is highly recommended that browser applications are closed fully after using any BNP Paribas platforms.
Viruses and Spyware
- Anti-Virus software, anti-spyware software, and personal firewalls should be installed and continually kept active on your computer.
- Security patches and virus definitions should be periodically installed and updated in order to ensure that any bugs and security loopholes are closed.
Your Personal Information
- Please keep your relationship manager updated with accurate details of your personal information.
- Navigating to the Website should always be done through known hyperlinks. Please read the address bar / URL carefully and always ensure that it is correct.
- Do not conduct any transactions through public or shared computers.
Fraudulent Emails and Websites
- Remain vigilant for suspicious emails and websites that attempt to use deceit in order to reveal sensitive information. BNP Paribas will never ask you for private information by email and will not send e-mails with embedded hyperlinks to transactional websites.
- Also, please be aware that in some email applications such as Microsoft Outlook, a text hyperlink may be displayed but actually clicking on the hyperlink may direct you to another website. This is known as phishing. Phishing websites are designed to look identical to genuine websites. Additionally, some emails may contain image files that appear to look like text. Hovering over the image and clicking may lead you to a phishing website. Ensure that the guidelines for verifying BNP Paribas websites (above) are followed.
Other security precaution
- Remove file and printer sharing in their computers, especially when they have internet access via cable modems, broadband connections or similar set-ups.
- Make regular backup of critical data.
- Consider the use of encryption technology to protect highly sensitive data.
- Do not install software or run programs of unknown origin.
- Delete junk or chain emails.
- Do not open email attachments from strangers.
- Please check your quotation and/or transaction activity frequently and report any discrepancy to BNP Paribas